So you have your SlumberPod or you are interested in purchasing one — and want to know how a baby monitor works with it. It’s relatively simple, as our team member, Carlye, demonstrates below.
To be transparent, some video monitors perform better than others and for various reasons. We recently surveyed nearly 2,000 customers who had received their SlumberPod in the past few months to gather feedback about the video monitor they used with their SlumberPod. The survey had a great response --- providing details about what worked well and aspects of using particular models that didn’t work so well. From this information, we reached back out to 30+ customers to get additional information that will help other customers, as well as our product development.
A summary of the top results
Monitors reported being overall compatible with SlumberPod (* indicates picture provided)
- Hello Baby
- Infant Optics*
- Summer Infant
Not all of the above were perfect for all aspects, and some of the above brands were only reported by a few but received very positive remarks. Below are the top two brands in terms of the number of responses and how they measured up (rating is out of 5):
From the beginning of developing our blackout canopy, we knew that caregivers would enjoy having a way to monitor their little one while using SlumberPod, similar to how babies are monitored when they sleep in a separate room at home. How did we know? SlumberPod was created by a mother-daughter duo who have nine children between them — so they knew first-hand that this feature would be important. They also conducted focus groups and product input surveys to confirm the importance prior to finalizing the initial design.
You may be wondering why more video cameras weren’t included in the initial development. Actually, we did test quite a few models back at the start of our idea (summer of 2016), but cameras have evolved and manufacturers have added features that weren’t as mainstream back then.
Our product development team is analyzing different ideas that could be incorporated in the design to enhance using all baby monitors. It will likely be a while before the ideas go into production, so we appreciate your patience.
In the meantime, please contact us if you have any ideas that you’d like to share with us to improve SlumberPod — for the video camera or for other enhancements. We love hearing from our customers!
- If purchasing a video baby monitor to use with SlumberPod, look for models with a wide-angle lens
- Make sure the zipper on the monitor pouch is zipped completely shut as any light will increase glare or cause blurriness
- Keep in mind that the temperature reading on your baby monitor may show a few degrees warmer than actual when in the monitor pouch
- If your video monitor has auto-focus, turn it off if possible, otherwise it will focus on the clear vinyl
- Position the camera as tight against the clear vinyl as possible with no wrinkles to reduce glare
- Cover up the night vision sensor with duct tape or electrical tape
- Put the camera inside the pouch upside down